Your Priesthood Line of Authority looks something like this. A Priesthood Line of Authority shows who ordained an individual and who in turn ordained them and so on back to the Lord, Jesus Christ. From this, we’re able to see where our Authority originates, and how it’s passed down from one individual to another. Many who are not of our faith claim that they received their ‘authority’ from the Holy Ghost, the Bible, or even that authority isn’t necessary to doing acts in place of the Savior. We know that’s not true, however.
You can receive your Priesthood Line of Authority directly from the Church. Mine, honestly, was received lightning fast. I placed the envelope in the mail box, and three days later, I had received an e-mail from the Church with a PDF attachment. I’ve heard others who say it took longer, or even others who say it didn’t come at all. Either way, if you’re interested, follow the steps below to receive yours!
How to request a copy of your Priesthood Line of Authority
If you wish to request your Priesthood Line of Authority, you can get it directly from the Church.
- Full legal name
- Birth date
- Current ward and stake
- Membership record number (available on a temple recommend or from your ward clerk)
- The name of the individual who ordained you to the office of Elder or High priest (if known)
- The date that the ordinance was performed (if known)
- Your return address
- Telephone number
- E-mail address
The more information that you’re able to provide, the better. The Ward Clerk should be able to help you fill in any of the blanks that you’re missing.
Send your request to:
Priesthood Line of Authority
Global Service Center
120 North 200 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103-1514
Telephone: 1-800-453-3860, extension 2-3500
To contact Church headquarters, use one of the following ways:
- Email: email@example.com with PLA in the subject line. In return you’ll receive a form to fill out and return (this is an automated reply to any message that contains “PLA” in the subject line).
- Phone: 800-453-3860 ext 23500 then choose option 6, then option 3. After the message and tone, leave a voice mail message with your fax number or mailing address. The form will be mailed to you.